Saturday, June 30, 2012

Can Aesthetics

It has been interesting listening to reactions to the cans.  Some people believed that the resulting objects were not yet finished - not forged enough.

Is it an aesthetic problem?  A problem of 'finishing', completing a work to the point of a satisfying form?  This did disturb me for a while because I thought that maybe my work was not up to scratch, though I think that maybe it is an aesthetic judgement.

I like the disturbance that they cause. The need to complete a piece with the eye.  I will use it, complete some pieces, not others.

The visibility of the original can, did that disturb?  Could it be a problem seeing the utilitarian portion of the object - the can - the junk left behind from cooking?  It could be an abject, detritus nature - the junk of the can.  By leaving that much of the old can could it be like leaving under arm hair - offensive to the senses?

Or is it just not showing enough of my skill as a silversmith?

No comments:

Post a Comment